What to know about Windows 8.1 Preview, and How to Download it.
The Window 8.1 Preview is just announced today. A lot of new features are packed in the new Windows 8.1 preview. I’m going to tell you how to download Windows 8.1 Preview. Remember this is only Preview version, not the original version. The original version will come some time in this year. You should consider downloading the Windows 8.1 Preview if all of the following apply to you:
- Like to use the latest software and enjoy experimenting on technology
- Feel comfortable in backing up PC, formatting a hard drive, and installing an OS from scratch
- Feel comfortable in troubleshooting PC problem yourself
- Don’t mind updating software frequently
- Can create installation or recovery media and have the knowledge to restore your previous operating system after you’re done testing Windows 8.1 Preview
Risks of using the Windows 8.1 Preview:
- Software won’t install or work correctly, including antivirus and security programs
- Printers, video cards, and other hardware won’t work
- Difficulty accessing public or home network
- Damage to some of your files
- If you’re running Windows RT, you won’t be able to restore Windows RT after you install Windows RT 8.1 Preview on you device. But you are able to upgrade to the final version of Windows RT 8.1
- If the installation of Windows 8.1 Preview fails on your PC, you should contact your PC manufacturer
- In order to use Windows 8.1, you must signin to your PC with Microsoft account. The option to create local account will be available in the final version of Windows 8.1
Requirements of using Windows 8.1:
- Processor: 1 GHz or faster
- RAM: 1 GB (x86), 2 GB (x64)
- Free hard disk space: 16 GB (x86), 20 GB (x64)
- Graphics Card: DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
- For x64 Windows 8.1 Preview, your CPU must support CMPXCHG16b, PrefetchW and LAHF/SAHF
- To use touch, you need a tablet or a monitor that supports multitouch
- To access Windows Store, download an app, and run an app, you need an Internet Connection, screen resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels, and a Microsoft Account.
- Internet access
- If you installed Windows 8.1 Preview in a language that is different from the language that is currently on your PC, you can only keep your files not your apps or settings
- If you’re running Windows 8 and have installed the Language Pack, they’ll be removed when you install the Windows 8.1 Preview
If you want to know if your device works with Windows 8.1 Preview, check out the Windows 8 Compatibility Center Things that you’re able to keep when you upgrade from Windows OS:
- Windows 8: Personal files, settings, and most apps
- Windows RT: Personal files, settings, and most apps
- Windows 7: Personal files
- Windows Vista: Nothing, boot from media and perform a clean install
- Windows XP: Nothing, boot from media and perform a clean install
- If you’re running Windows 8 and you don’t use any of the 13 languages the preview is available in, you’ll need to install using the ISO
- If you’re running Windows 8 Enterprise, you’ll need to install the preview using ISO
How to Install by using Windows Store:
- Download the update here
- After downloading, open it and follow the instruction on it
- Restart your PC
- After restarting, there will be a message asking you to check out the Windows Store to see the Windows 8. Preview.
- Go to the store, download the Windows 8.1 Preview.
- After download, follow the instructions shown to finish the installation.
How to Install by using .ISO file:
- Download the .iso file
- Open the .iso file
- Double-click the setup.exe
- Follow the instruction shown
- You need to update your firmware and drivers during the installation, you should also install all required updates from Windows Update
- You need to free up disk space during the installation, consider copying files to USB or uninstalling it
- If you start to get Windows 8.1 Preview, but decided to stop, open control panel search for View Installed Updates, look for the Microsoft Windows category and uninstall KB2849636
You don’t need product key if you install Windows 8.1 Preview from Windows Store. You need product key for Windows 8.1 Preview if you installed it through the .iso file, the product key is NTTX3-RV7VB-T7X7F-WQYYY-9Y92F.
Thanks for reading hope it helps you, ask a question by commenting on this page.
- Windows 8.1 Preview (windows.microsoft.com)
- Windows 8.1 Preview FAQ (windows.microsoft.com)
- Windows 8.1 Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)